Here's a picture of a vintage purse from one of my aunts. She embroidered the motif and then after much use, decided to take the purse apart to make a new lining but never got around to doing the job. I was the lucky recipient of the unlined purse and it's been in my closet for a couple of years now. Yesterday I was looking for a different project and came across the purse and decided that now was the time!
This is a closer look at the embroidery.
Step 1. In order to make a pattern for the lining, I pinned a piece of stiff interfacing to the purse and traced the main body piece and the side panels with a marker. The main body of the purse is one piece. I added a 3/8" seam allowance and cut it on the fold.
Step 2. After cutting out the pieces ,each was stabilized with stitching around the whole piece.
Step 3. I added a pocket to each main lining side.
Step 4. Fitted side linings to main lining and sewed seams.
Step 5. Clipped curves and then ironed.
Step 6. Fit the lining into the purse.
Step 7. Whipped the side linings to the purse.
Step 8. Sewed the entire lining along the top of the flaps and another stitching line to make a tube for the handles.
Finished project-can't wait to use it. I think I'll use the basic pattern for more purses. It shouldn't be as hard because I'll cut out the lining to match the outside. I'll just have to adjust the handle parts.