Friday, June 18, 2010

Pink Saturday

This week for Pink Saturday Beverly is sharing her studio with everyone. I wanted to share some vintage pink I have and also some pics of my studio. WARNING-there are quite a few photos to follow. My workspace is as full as I can make it and I've taken advantage of every nook and cranny!

The first two pictures I want to show y'all include some vintage lace, fabric pieces, and a beautiful embroidered cloth from my Mom. She was one of those famous recyclers, the Depression era kids. No matter how small a piece of lace or fabric was, it was carefully saved. Dresses were taken apart and remade. Every button, zipper, or hook was taken off and saved for future use. Nothing was thrown away unless it was totally beyond repair. How fortunate for those of us who love these things. I have bags of wonderful lace, fabric, fasteners, and various other pieces. 


Isn't this work stunning? So much time and love involved. Hopefully I can get most of the stains out and finish the edge to be able to use it.

Now for the overload of studio shots! This wall is just to the left of my sewing machine. The little dress was for my mom when she was younger and the longer gown was her wedding nightgown. She gave me the gown just a couple of months before she passed away. I plan of making some sachets from it for family members. The blue hat belonged to my younger sister who died from breast cancer. I love having these items close by because most days this is the room where I work.

 

This wonderful piece came from a shop in Ponchatula. It was a mailbox for a hotel and has a rolldown door. All of my patterns are stored in here along with tissue, bags, and various little items.


This built in shelf unit was a doorway leading to my bedroom. This room used to be for my girls and they kept their little treasures here. Now is full of old jars (from my Grandma) that hold my buttons and threads sorted by color (always had a thing for that). I also have some larger jars holding ribbons.


This closet holds some of my fabrics. I couldn't fit all of them so some are still in my old studio. I spray painted old freezer baskets in different colors and sorted fabric in those. I also have smaller pieces sorted by color in some plastic baskets. It's hard to imagine, but this cabinet measures about 6' by 4'.


An old store rack that holds binding and twill tapes.


My bulletin board on the sidewall left of my sewing machine. It has finished jewelry, some vintage buttons, an Anthropologie fabric stamp, and a few other items I love.


The bright colored dress form comes from Hobby Lobby and I have more finished products on her. The tin plaque of "LOVE" is from Papaya.


And of course, there's a special place for Georgia and Gabe to play when they're in here. I put out my little Singer (no needle or electricity, of course) and a little chalk board to draw on. I really would like to paint the little chairs I have from their parents in bright colors too.


Unbelievably, there are some spaces I left out. More drawers, another closet, scrapbook cabinet and a few other spaces. I hope you enjoyed my studio tour. The blog I'd like to highlight today is The Stone Rabbit. Her posts always bring a smile to my face. Hope you enjoy them too!

15 comments:

Annesphamily said...

This is more fun then going into a candy store! I love your treasures. Those crafty supplies from your grandmother are such a beautiful treasure to have. I like the sewing machine and all your crafty space! You took some great pictures! Thanks Anne

Theresa Plas said...

Spectacular Studio! I adore the turquoise walls..YooHOOOO! The "Frou Frou" hangers are one of my favorites and I admire how everything is so organized and pretty! Thanks so much for sharing and stopping by my studio!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

OH, I love seeing where you create! It's such a fun space! Lots and LOTS of shiny objects to tempt a magpie...

Happy Pink Saturday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

nannykim said...

I love all those jars lined up so pretty!! Also love the wall with your mom's dress and sister's hat--it is so nice to have something like that! Also the mailbox thingy--how cool is that?!

Beverly said...

Sue, I can sense the wonderful creations that come out of this space. It oozes your style, and the inspiration you surround yourself with is awesome.

Happy Pink Saturday. Thank you for introducing your visitors to Dana.

Catharina Maria said...

The embroderie is beautiful and you have a great work space .
love from the Netherlands ♥RINI♥

kayellen said...

Happy Pink Saturday!!

I mailed off your coffee treat!

~~~enjoy:)

xoxo
Kay Ellen

Simply Debbie said...

HAPPY PINK SATURDAY SUE.
THE EMBROIDERED PIECE IS SO PRETTY.
MY FAVORITE PLACE IN THE ROOM IS THE WALL OF WONDERFUL JARS FILLED WITH WONDERFUL TREASURES...IT IS LIKE A CANDY STORE. I LOVE OLD JARS.
I LOVE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO TURN YOUR MOTHERS GOWN INTO SACHETS FOR THE FAMILY. WHAT A PRECIOUS GIFT TO RECEIVE.
I ENJOYED SEEING WHERE YOU CREATE. YOUR SISTERS HAT IS AWESOME. I HAVE MY DAUGHTERS RED COWBOY BOOTS.
MY PRAYERS ARE WITH LA AND THE PEOPLE, WILDLIFE, JOBS, AND MARSHLANDS THAT ARE BEING DESTROYED BY THIS ENDLESS SPILLAGE SPEWING INTO THE GULF WATER. ALL I CAN DO IS PRAY ABOUT IT OR I JUST GET OUTRAGED AT IRRESPONSIBILITY...
HAPPY FATHERS DAY WEEK END.
HUGS AND BLESSINGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Char said...

Your space is very special and I would love to see it in person. Wouldn't it be great if each of us could spend time going thru everyone's goodies. I see lots of pretty things hanging and in jars in your creative room. Beautiful. Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Julie said...

What a beautiful, fun studio! Happy (Belated) Pink Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh..I'm visiting a day too late again, but I'm here..that's what counts doesn't it? So, Happy Belated Pink Saturday to you and I hope you'll visit my PS-post and enter my give-away! Love, Esther XX

Nancy said...

What a great space and I love your turquoise walls.
I'm with you on the Gulf - just makes me so sad to see the mess. I usually go to South Padre. :( Nancy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Sue, your wonderful sewing room looks like such a creative place in which to work. I love the wire dress form and all the shelf space for your button and notions.

Happy Pink Saturday a little late ..have a wonderful week!

PS I love Dana's blog too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello Suesue,

I do think the embroidery work is amazing. No machines - - pure handwork. Beautiful!

I think it's the first time we get to see your studio. You are fully stocked! Everyday must be a "create day" for you. Now I see how you have created those cute dresses for Georgia :-)

Mizpah,
Li

Regina said...

I love peeking in different craft spaces. I love the color of your walls and your frou frou letters. I bet you could get lost in there for hours- exactly how a good craft room should be.

About Me

My photo
south louisiana, United States
I'm a stay at home mom of four adult children. I've always been interested in creating and have been sewing since I was a young girl. Everyone loves lagniappe. It's the little extra things in life that make it special, whether it's a sweet, sticky kiss from a child or a great cajun cup of coffee.