Monday, June 7, 2010

One Small Helping Hand

A dear friend of mine called today. cathy and I have created together for years and despite distance and never enough time, "there is a tie that binds".

She and few other friends have decided to help in our way with the crisis in the Gulf. I live a little more than hour from Grand Isle and my hb's family owns some camps in Leeville. I haven't gone down there but the daily pictures on the news break my heart. This is part of my home.

Georgia on Grand Isle beach for the fourth of July, 2008


San Destin, 2008

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/louisiana-oil-spill-2010_n_558287.html

There is however, those quiet heroes who start a small movement to make a difference in some big way. Craft Hope is one such place. Through their continual projects, they have brought love and hope to so many others through handmade projects. Partnering with the The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies, the Audubon Nature Institute, and the Mississippi Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge  Project 8 involves sending cloths made from cotton fabric or yarn, cotton tees, or old washtowels for workers cleaning up the animals covered in oil. With the help of Kimberly to coordinate the donations, workers will receive the cloths all along the whole coast. 


Please read the link to Craft Hope or their Facebook page to have any of your questions answered about what type of material to use. Cotton and cotton terry cloth is most preferred as it is natural and most absorbent. I'm going to collect t-shirts and cut them into 10"x10" pieces. They are also collecting bottles of Dawn detergent or a giftcard to purchase Dawn. 



There doesn't seem to be an end to the bad news. Besides the environmental impact, so many people make their living from the water and now have no place to fish, shrimp or harvest oysters. Now the moratorium on drilling has already affected the companies involved and the domino effect impacts all the boat companies as a result. I certainly don't know the answer but our whole economy is in jeopardy.


If there is any way you can help, I thank you in advance. God Bless.

2 comments:

kayellen said...

Hi sweetie ! you still need to email me your address~~
so I can send you your coffee prize:)))

my email is~~~kayellen@charter.net

xoxo
Kay

jenclair said...

I try to avoid thinking about the spill as much as I can. The damage seems almost infinite--to humans, flora and fauna, environment, economy....

In a sense, not much on this planet will escape the enormous impact of the spill and its rippling effect.

I've already checked out the link, and I'll check Good Will and Walmart for wash cloths and dish towels to send.

Thanks, SueSue, for this information.

About Me

My photo
south louisiana, United States
I'm a stay at home mom of four adult children. I've always been interested in creating and have been sewing since I was a young girl. Everyone loves lagniappe. It's the little extra things in life that make it special, whether it's a sweet, sticky kiss from a child or a great cajun cup of coffee.